Monday, October 12, 2009

How can Twitter really benefit me in the Real Estate industry?

This was a great question posed by Jeff Manson in the article: http://www.geekestateblog.com/can-twitter-really-increase-your-real-estate-sales/#

Like any new social media site, it can consume too much of our time and be seen as useless. However, these sites can be a tool to grow our business – if used correctly. I feel that Twitter is a great tool for those in the Real Estate industry because it allows you to build that much sought after rapport virtually! I’ve met many people in person that I’ve felt I’ve known for a long time because of Twitter. Many of those people have turned into clients too, although not sure of my exact conversion rate on this.

I see Twitter as a tool to eavesdrop (legitimately!) on the exact conversations I choose. Now, that is a powerful tool for many industries, not just real estate. Personally I use TweetDeck, a platform that allows one to organize their tweets, followers, and search columns. If this sounds crazy to you, try downloading TweetDeck (free!!) and see for yourself. One of my search columns is Bar Harbor, since that is the town my office is located in. Lucky for me, Acadia National Park is also based out of Bar Harbor, and therefore we see a lot of tourist activity. Anytime anyone in the world mentions anything about Bar Harbor, I see it. Obviously some of these tweets are useless to me – but many times someone may ask for dinner recommendation OR a specific hike to make sure they take while visiting. Once that rapport is established it could go anywhere. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve shown property to that say “well, we’ve been coming here on vacation for 10 or 20 years, and thought it was a good time to buy a 2nd home.” They are not the types that need to buy right now, but are simply considering it. Generally those are the type of people that a “soft sell” works much better on.

Like anything, you get out of it what you put into it. Happy Tweeting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment